Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A special thank you, and some projects

I just wanted to say a special thank you to all those who follow my blog, give advice on various projects, and show your support for my various projects, and those who feed my crafting addiction. (you know who you are)

I realize I haven't posted any projects recently, but I have been under the weather with allergies gone wild. It has gone from my usuall laryingitis to a full blown cold (or so it seams) and Ive been out of it for about a week and a half.

However, now that I have givin a few projects to a few people, I don't have to worry about showing one of my more recent projects...but I am warning you...there is the color PINK involved



Also, while Ive been wondering if my lung is going to be expelled, Ive been toying around with dying various things around the house with henna and indigo dyes. (Yes Jennie, I found a supplier for the blue stuff)

I started off with what it looks like on skin. Since the batch I picked up is meant for the skin. My other half said it looked like I went nuts with a ball point pen (isn't indigo what they use to make pen ink to start with?)

Then I moved on to some yarn tests. I picked up some Patons Marino while at Value Village (cause its cheaper) to test with.



Henna on the left. For the indigo on the right, I only used a half a shot full shot glass of dye. (mind you it looks like I killed a smurf in my bathtub. It will come out of the tub eventually...I hope)

What is Indigo you ask? Its a plant that is used for blue dye. Its a nice leafy green plant that kinda looks like spinach. But, when crushed, brewed, or boiled, it can dye fabric, wood, yarn, and skin blue. There are multiple varieties. Some you can just crush into wool and go, others you have to brew it to get the dye out and onto your project (kinda like onion skins, or berries)

The type I used were freeze dried crystals, so when added to water, it activates the dye, but it is an extract from the plant. (isn't science nifty?) As long as it is kept in my airtight containers, it wont degrade easily and keep its staining powers for a long time.

For info on the indigo plant and dyes, go to Wikipedia for more info

To check out where I got the dye, go to www.hennapage.com, which also has techniques how to mix your henna pastes to use if for skin, hair, wood, rawhide, and fabric. (going to try a batik one of these days)

2 comments:

Rose Marie said...

This is amazing ..... a lot of people dye their own wool and fabrics and I can see you having fun with batiks.

Jennifer said...

I like your wools! Hope you are feeling better soon, it's a bummer being sick.

Lables and hashtags

acrylic along -a -thon alpaca animals announcement Appliqué Applique n' Patch Quilt art art journal auctions Australia autumn awareness baby basics beauty bellydance birthday blackout blog books Bronze Wombat by hand camping Canada carving case cat causes charity Christmas cleanup clothing computers cool cosplay costumes crafts crazy quilt Creativ Festival creepy crochet Curiosity cute dance DIY drawing DS dying Earth Day earth hour easter eco-awareness embroidery enviro-friendly environment errata fabric fall fibre Firefly fireworks flowers food for sale free fun funny furniture games garden gear geek general update gifts glass glitter glow in the dark h hair hallowe'en hand made happy Harry Potter henna herbs holidays home decor homemade hot injuries internet Jayne jewellery k kimono kit kitchen klutz knitting larp leather life thoughts Mars medical mixed media movies music My Little Pony natural news Nintendo olympics painting paints paper piecing Patchwork Sanity pattern performance photos pink plant plants plastic canvas polymer clay preparedness presents public crafting announcment public saftey announcement quilting rant re-cover re-purpose re-upholstry re-use recipe recycle repairs s Science scraps selvedges Serenity sewing sheep shopping silk silly silly hats social sites socks Space sparkle special events spinning spoopy sports spring stash steampunk strange materials summer suprise tail tech difficulties thank you thoughts thrift tools Toronto Tour de Fleece toys trade show troupe TTC tutorial up-cycle updates vacation waste not weather weaving website links why? winter wonky star wool yarn