Sunday, January 06, 2013

Temperature Scarf Simplified - Links and chart

It took me a few years to finish, as I had left the project for a while and needed to catch up....but I finished it eventually.  Temperature scarves. It's based around the temperatures each day we get. 

You knit 2 rows for each day for each temperature (either in garter stitch or stockinette).

Below is the template of colours I used for mine.  Yours can have a wider variation on the temperatures and colours that you may want to use.
























The original pattern I am basing this off of can be found on ravelry....just follow this link.

Also, for something a little different, you can also base your scarf off of how cloudy or not cloudy the sky is.  Its called a Sky scarf. You can also follow the link to ravelry .....follow this link for the sky scarf.

The modifications I made on this are listed below:

-US10 needles (6 mm)
-Various colors based on the chart in the photos for this project in similar weight yarns
-40 stitch cast on

I just used garter stitch for simplicity for the pattern. You can use other stitches if you like.

You can also use a smaller guage or smaller needles or yarn if you like. You don’t have to stick to the size of needles or the amount of stitches I recommended on this pattern. If you use a smaller set of needles, you may want to add more stitches to the width.

I simplified the temperature range for those that want to try this I recommend large balls of color for large chunks of temperatures where its in the same 10 degree range. I also recommend using the simplified chart for those who are just starting to learn how to do colour changes and/or want to use a less diverse colour range

There is no set yardage for this pattern because it all depends on the weather.

Temperatures listed are in Celsius. For those in the USA, you might want to use a temperature conversion table to help you figure out what color to use.

To figure out what the temperatures in your area are, most local weather reporting stations (national weather services, Environment Canada, etc), will keep track and post records of the temperatures at the weather stations closest to you across the country. I took my temperatures at Pearson Airport at Noon for simplicity. Using the local weather service websites will help you find temperatures if you miss a day or two but want to go back and find the temperatures for your scarf.

The website I use for my temperature listings through Environment Canada on their Historical Climate page:  http://climate.weather.gc.ca/


The minimum I would recommend for this pattern is 2 rows per day (so your color change is on the same side of the scarf), for 6 months. If you want to shorten the time, add more rows per day . I recommend if you are going to add more rows and do the scarf in about a month, do your rows by a factor of 2 to keep it simple, ie 6 or 8 rows per day. You will end up with a very vibrant and very long scarf if you go for the full year.

My scarf, for doing the full year of 2013, wound up being about 16 feet long!

No comments: